Many problems can arise from a corrupted PST (Personal Storage Table) file, particularly if it contains contacts, emails, or other Outlook data. Many factors, including sudden system shutdowns, power outages, hardware problems, software incompatibilities, or mistakes made during the file migration process, can cause PST files to become corrupted. Therefore, repairing a PST file as soon as possible is crucial. Today, we’ll guide you through Outlook 2010, 2013, and 2016PST file repair procedures.
How to repair a PST file in Outlook 2010, 2013, and 2016
The built-in Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair program (SCANPST.EXE) or a third-party PST repair application can be used to fix faulty PST files.
Where the scanPST.exe program is located
Typically, the tool can be found in the following directory:
- Outlook 2007: C:\ Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 12
- Outlook 2010: C:\ Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 14
- Outlook 2013: C:\ Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 15
- Outlook 2016: C:\ Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 16
- Outlook 2019: C:\ Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 16
Required Inbox Repair Tool in Certain Situations
Inbox Repair Tool might be necessary in the following scenarios:
- If your data file cannot be opened by Outlook.
- An error message such as “Cannot open your default email folder error” appears when you try to open the folder set.
- In the case of corrupted Outlook data file.
Use the Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe)
Select scanpst.exe file to open the Inbox Repair Tool.
Click the “Browse” option in the Inbox Repair Tool and choose the PST file that needs to be fixed.
To start the scanning process, click the “Start” button.
Click the “Repair” option to correct any faults found in the PST file by the scan.
Open Outlook after the repair is finished to see if the problems have been fixed.
Note: You may need to do this process to repair the PST file. However, for highly corrupted PST file this method may not work. So you will need PST repair tool for heavily corrupted PST files.
I hope you are now relieved. This blog post explains the ideal way to repair a PST files. Outlook PST files can become damaged with multiple of reasons, understanding how to fix these files is crucial, regardless of whether you’re using Outlook 2010, 2013, or 2016. However, by employing the previously mentioned technique, you can quickly repair the PST file. SCANPST.EXE can be used to repair PST file corruption.