Gmail is well-known email client that fulfills the demands of the users and organizations on different level. But many organizations are switching to Microsoft 365 as, they know the potential of the Office 365 on the level of enterprises. Many of you asking how to migrate Gmail to Office 365 with IMAP migration.
In this blog, we will discuss the reasons to migrate Gmail to Office 365 the benefits of switching to Microsoft, and we will see the different methods to transfer Gmail to Microsoft 365. This article will help you to solve all the doubts and queries you have related to migration.
Table of Content
- Factors to Migrate from Gmail to Office 365
- Multiple methods of Gmail to Office 365 migration
Factors to Migrate from Gmail to Office 365
Some of the reasons are mentioned below why users need to migrate Gmail to Office 365:
- Office 365 provides a wider range of tools and features that can improve productivity and teamwork.
- O365 has multiple thread protection features like spam filtering, anti-phishing, and anti-malware.
- DLP capabilities in 365 assist organizations in preventing the sharing of sensitive data. These functions can be used to classify data, restrict access, and monitor data usage.
Multiple methods of Gmail to Office 365 migration
If 2-step verification is set for the users’ Gmail (G Suite) accounts, you will need to know the app password for each Gmail mailbox you want to move. For users on Gmail, you require their regular user account passwords if 2-step verification is off. Let’s see the multiple methods to migrate Gmail to Office 365.
Migrate Gmail to Microsoft 365 through O365 IMAP migration
In this method we will see how to migrate Gmail mailboxes along with attachments in Office 365.
Note: Migrating Gmail through Office IMAP users can only transfer Gmail emails along with its attachments, if users want to migrate contacts, calendars they need to transfer it separately.
- Go to microsoft.com and starts login with Office 365 account.
Note: Admin access is required to perform these steps.
- Click on Show all
- Go to Exchange.
- Select Migration and then go to add migration batch.
- New window is now opened as Add migration batch, enter unique name to the migration batch and select the migration path as Migration to Exchange Online, then press the next
- Choose IMAP from the Migration type option, and press the next
Note: To finish the Gmail to Microsoft Office 365 migration, you must first create users in your Office 365 account.
- Click on create a new migration endpoint then press next
- Enter migration endpoint name, choose maximum concurrent migration and maximum concurrent incremental syncs then press the next
Note: As needed, enter concurrent migrations and incremental syncs.
- In new window (IMAP migration configuration) enter IMAP server, authentication, encryption, and port. Then press the next.
- Now you can see the endpoint setup status as created, press the next button.
- A popup to add user mailboxes will appear. It will download a CSV file when you click on “download a CSV file with headers and sample user information.”
- Enter the destination email address—that is, the user address to which you want to move your Gmail mailbox—into the first column.
Fill out Username in the second field, which is the Source email address (the Gmail account’s email address).
Note: Create and enter the app password if two-step authentication is enabled in Gmail; if not, enter the Gmail login password.
- Press on Browse, upload the CSV file and then press the next button.
- Click on choose folders to be skipped or moved if you wish to skip some folders; otherwise, leave it unchecked.
Choose select things by time range to transfer specific timeframe items; otherwise, leave it alone.
Press the next button.
- In new window, choose the user account in which you want to send the migration report.
Select automatically start batch. Users can choose manually to start the batch or select the time for starting the batch according to your needs. Choose your time zone and press the save button.
- Now the batch creation is completed and press the done
- Depending on the size of your data, it will take time accordingly to finish syncing.
- Refresh after a while to see if the synchronizing process is complete. Click on the migration batch to check the migration status in detail if it has been finished.
The procedure to migrate Gmail to Office 365 is complete. All the steps mentioned above shows you how to migrate from Gmail to Microsoft 365. I wish all the steps helped you in migration.
Let’s check another method for Gmail to Office 365 migration.
Through MS Outlook (by setting up Gmail to export to PST and import that PST file into Office 365 in MS Outlook)
In this technique, we will see how to migrate Gmail to Office 365 by using MS Outlook. Let’s check the steps mentioned below:
Setting-up Gmail account in MS Outlook
- Go to MS Outlook and open File.
- Click on Add Account.
- New window is opened as Add account, click on manual setup, and press the next
- Press on POP or IMAP, and press the next
- Enter all the details and go to More settings.
- The Internet Email Setting will open. Click on the advanced tab, select the Outgoing server, and then select the first option as seen enabled in the image below.
- After going to advanced tab, enter Incoming and Outgoing server, after completing all the details press the Ok
- This process will take you back to the add account option, press next button to add account.
- All the tasks will be test in this window, just press the close button after the process showing status as complete.
- As you can see you are all set, press the finish
Your Gmail account has been successfully set up in Microsoft Outlook. You now require a PST file for Microsoft Office 365 import.
Extract PST File from MS Outlook
- Go to File in MS Outlook.
- Go to Open & Export and select Import & Export from the option.
- The Import & Export Wizard is opened now, select export to a file, and press the next.
- Select Outlook data file (.pst) and press the next
- Select your account and press next
- Now select the destination to save the file, and press on Finish.
- If necessary, you can select to secure your PST file with a password (optional). To continue, click OK.
The PST file will be exported to the selected location. You have successfully exported the Outlook PST file by following these instructions. To finish the Gmail to Office 365 migration, you must import the PST file into Office 365.
Move PST file in Microsoft 365
You can move your PST file in Office 365 by using two different methods are:
- By using Network Upload Method.
- Through MS Outlook Import/Export Wizard.
Use any method of your choice to move PST file in Office 365.
Migrate Gmail to Office 365 with professional tool
With the help of any professional tool, one can easily migrate Gmail to Office 365. It is the easiest method as it doesn’t require any technical knowledge. A beginner can use any available third-party tool without any difficulties. You can also contact us if you need help in the migration of Gmail emails to Office 365 mailboxes.
In this article, we have discussed multiple method to migrate Gmail to Office 365. Users can use any of the method as per their requirement. I hope this article has helped and solved all your doubts related to Migrate Gmail to Office 365, Migrate Gmail mail to Office 365 and, etc.
Read more: Google workspace to Office 365